This always turns out delicious! I even overcooked it last time and it was still amazing. We had the Cairns over for coffee and liege waffles and I made this to go with it. I couldn’t get sweet Italian sausage the night before so I used Jimmy Dean regular breakfast sausage that comes in the one pound tube and it tasted the same as always. And it was easier than removing all the casings. I am very liberal with the fresh parsley, too. It always feels so decadent when I am mixing all the egg yolks and the cream with the cheese but doesn’t actually taste as rich as you would think but it is definitely very delicious! I got this from a Bon Appetit magazine in 2002.
- Makes 8 servings
- 1 pound Italian sweet sausage, casings removed
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped drained oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 5 large eggs
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Sauté sausage in medium nonstick skillet over medium heat until brown and cooked through, breaking up with back of fork into small pieces, about 10 minutes. Add shallots and garlic and sauté 3 minutes. Add sun-dried tomatoes and 2 tablespoons parsley; stir 1 minute. Spread sausage mixture in prepared dish. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
- Whisk eggs, egg yolks, half and half, whipping cream, 1 1/2 cups cheese, and salt in large bowl to blend well. Pour egg mixture over sausage mixture in dish. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese and 2 tablespoons parsley over. Bake until top of casserole is golden brown and knife inserted into center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.